Friday, November 11, 2011

Apple pie, hurrah!

After some searching around, I decided to try King Arthur Flour's apple pie recipe, using the One Pie Crust to Rule Them All. Now that's an apple pie. :) We forgot to take a picture, so I've borrowed KAF's pie photo.




Notes: 
  • I did use the boiled cider. It was nice, although I'm sure the substitution they suggest would be good too.
  • We peeled the apples and used a 10-slice apple slicer. This made the apples a bit chunkier than I'd like, but was better than using the apple peeler/corer/slicer that spiral-cuts the apples very thin. That thin, and they tend to turn into goo.
  • My favorite apples are Jon-a-gold, Honey Crisp, and Crispen. They are very similar, and only appear at our stores in the fall/winter. Otherwise, I would use a combination of Golden Delicious and Granny Smith.
  • I did not pre-cook the apples. I think an apple pie should have the big gaps in it where the apples cooked down. A solidly-packed apple pie looks, well, weird.
  • I cut the upper crust in strips, and made a lattice, which was very pretty. Next time I may try a solid crust with vent holes; there was some reason I thought that might be better, but I can't remember right now.
  • Brushing with milk and sprinkling with sugar gives a nice light sheen, not so shiny as an egg wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment