Equipment note: I used a Soda Stream to make the carbonated water, although they do sell it in the grocery with the bottled water and often near the cocktail mixes. My 250 ml glass beaker was perfect for cooking and blending the ginger syrup. Yes, I have a set of beakers in the kitchen now, and they're awesome! They work really well with a stick blender, can go from hot to cold safely, work in the microwave, and have ml measures on the side. A quart is about a liter (1000 ml). They are helping me become more "metric". One milliliter (ml)of water weighs one gram (g). Metric can be handy. They also add a nice science flair to the decor.
|30 g of ginger syrup in a tiny glass beaker|
Ginger Ale Dex+
- 30 g ginger syrup Dex+
- 20 g Simple Syrup Dex+
- 8 oz carbonated water
Mix the syrups and an oz or two of the water until syrup dissolves. Add remaining water and ice. Adjust to taste.
Crystallized Ginger Syrup Dex+
- 25 g crystallized ginger, finely minced
- 50 g water
- 60 g dextrose
- 2 ½ tsp Benefiber
- 82 g Corn Syrup (zero high fructose corn syrup)
- Microwave ginger and water until the water boils. Allow ginger to steep in hot water a few minutes, then bring to a boil again. Repeat until the ginger is very soft.
- Add corn syrup to ginger mixture. Blend until smooth (a stick blender works well).
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry dextrose and Benefiber.
- Stir the dextrose/Benefiber into the ginger mixture.
- Microwave, watching constantly, until the syrup begins to bubble up the sides of the bowl. Stop the microwave immediately. Carefully stir the hot syrup.
- Repeat above step once.